|Created by||Marc Richards (characters)|
Robby London, Barry O'Brien (adapted for animation)
|Executive Producer(s)||Lou Scheimer|
Group W Productions
|Original run||September 8, 1986 – December 5, 1986|
|No. of episodes||65|
Ghostbusters (later called "Filmation Ghostbusters") was a animated series aired during 1986-1987, the same time as Sony's The Real Ghostbusters series started (and is likely the source of that show's name). The show is based on the Live Action Ghost Busters of mid 70's. Kong and Spenser's sons take over their father's business with the assistance of Tracy. They were most often called upon to stop the robotic-looking Prime Evil and his gang of spooks in their attempts to conquer the world. Although the show is technically called Ghostbusters, it is called Filmation's Ghostbusters on video boxes to differentiate between it and the movie and its spinoffs. There are, however, times when the series is called The Original Ghostbusters, though this is a rare occurrence. On a Just For Kids trailer for "Heroes, Haunts, and Hilarity," the announcer uses this naming convention. The Schaper toyline is called From Filmation's Ghostbusters.
In many of the episodes Prime Evil the evil master of Hauntquarters sends his subjects to earth to do some sort of evil doings. Jake Kong Jr., Eddie Spenser Jr., Tracy the Gorilla, along with help sometimes from Futura or Jessica Wray go try to stop Prime Evil. A lot of the times they'd use Ghost Buggy's Time changing abilities to go to the time of the event/problem.
Season Guide & Episode Guide
Jake Kong Jr.
Tracy the Gorilla
Tracy the Gorilla (voiced by Lou Scheimer) is the same gorilla as in the show The Ghost Busters. He helps out the team with his incredible strength and with the new weapons he invents.
For information on other characters:
- Ghost Gummer is able to shoot gum at a enemy sticking them up.
- Spectre Snare shoots out a lasso type thing to tie up ghosts.
- Ghost Remover sprays a mist that acts like the Dematerializer.
- Bubble Blaster produces bubbles which can imprison a foe.
- Ecto-Strobe reveals the ecto residue of a ghost.
- Ghostbuster Backpack is used by both Jake and Eddie.
- Tracy's Backpack is a brown backpack.
- Ghost Kit is only used by the sr. ghostbusters to carry items.
- Ghost Buggy (voiced by Pat Fraley) is the Ghostbuster car. He can talk, fly, and travel through time. He often complains about having to work with the Ghostbusters.
- Ghost Busters Car is the original Ghost Buggy.
- Ghost Command, the Ghosbusters' office, is filled with talking bone-themed appliances
- Hauntquarters, where the evil ghosts live. It resembles a cathedral floating on clouds.
- Haunted Castle Sir Trance-a-lot